Sunday, April 12, 2009

I'm Ready!

undefined



Happy Easter!!!

17 weeks down and 1 to go!

I did my last medium distance run today of 12 miles with Jerry Ross on my hilly Boston route. Since it was Easter morning we decided to run a little earlier at 8 am. It was a cool 28 degrees and the wet spots on the roads were still icy. It was actually nice knowing that this was my last longer run for awhile.

I am ready to race this Marathon. I put in the training. My confidence is high, but I'm also aware that thing can turn bad during a race, so I need to be smart and pay attention to certain details during the race. I was telling Jerry this morning that my goal is basically a 2:37-2:40 range marathon. I'm also going to commit to 6 min. pace right away. I will run the 1st mile a little slower (6:15-6:25 pace), but then get after it. I have the confidence that I will be able to keep this up for the marathon.

I have committed 4 months of my life to Boston. I was a college wrestler and I have put just as much effort (if not more) into this race. I'm 35 years old, but I still consider myself an athlete. I am not scared to fail. Last year I ran really conservative and had a good race and I'm proud of my 2:44, but I could've ran faster. This year I'm going to see how fast I can run a marathon. If I fail, then I know that I went after it. Like I said, it's not always about the end result its the process and the road to get their that we sometimes need to be proud of.

Here is the week of 4/6-4/12 (Taper week #2)

4/6- Off (1st Day off in 113 days)
4/7- 9 miles (8 X 100m striders)
4/8- 6 miles
4/9- 9+ miles ( 3 X 1600m @ 5K pace w/ 2 min. rest) (5:03, 4:59, 4:57)
4/10- 5+ miles
4/11- 7+ miles (8 X 100m striders)
4/12- 12 miles

Total: 48 miles


Boston: Here I come!

2 comments:

Hone said...

Embrace the pain and love every minute of it. Also take a good bowel movement before the race.

If you follow these wise thoughts you will PR for sure.

MB said...

Good luck at Boston. Nice blog.